Eminem’s Mosh

I just watched Mosh by Eminem (via an Ad at Drudge.) A couple of words come to mind.

Infantile. That’s the first. I think it is telling that the only people in it that aren’t cartoons are Eminem and the President. The hoodies that star in the video aren’t people. They don’t even represent people. They are caricatures. The point doesn’t seem to be to represent people; they represent people as Eminem wants to convince himself that they are.

A soldier that says “Fuck Bush?” Only in the world that Eminem wishes would exist. Troops aren’t getting orders and getting pissed. They are getting order to go to Iraq and doing what soldiers do — going to fight because their country called. Try again, Marsh — at best, you have absolutely no understanding of what makes a soldier tick. At worst, you are shitting on everything they stand for by lying about how they feel.

“No Blood for Oil?” You say this right after you cry about someone getting evicted. I can only guess this is because you have absolutely no idea how money is made. This would make sense, given that you are paid entirely out of proportion with the effort you put forth. Don’t get me wrong — I think this is a good thing. People greatly demand entertainment, and you fill that demand. But that ability to demand luxuries like entertainment comes from a strong economy, not a weak one. An economy, especially a modern one, runs on energy. That energy comes from oil. If you really, really wanted to help that poor evicted woman, you would be screaming “more blood for oil.” The price of oil is the main thing dragging on our economy at this point. If we really had invaded Iraq to take the oil, we would have taken it and the price of oil would have plummeted.

Pointless. That is the other word. Who are you going to convince with weepy cartoons and unfunny jokes? This isn’t going to change any votes. You aren’t preaching the word. You are preaching to the choir. People who are convinced to vote one way or the other by this mindless, propagandist crap shouldn’t be voting in the first place. And people who think as shallowly and immaturely as you have shown in this work shouldn’t be part of the public discourse. Stop hurting America by shutting up politics and rapping about homosexuals and Vicodin.

1. Northe says:

“Who are you going to convince with weepy cartoons and unfunny jokes? This isn’t going to change any votes.”

I’d desparately want to agree with you here but the idiocy that is a great percentage of the human race are impressionistic and so busy (possibly lazy) that they can’t figure things out through their own investigation of the issues.

Think about the number of people you have spoken to that vomit an opinion they heard from somebody else and they have mistaken it for their own. Sadly, the braindead masses that do listen to things with no questions will spread it around to like minded individuals. The only hope is that with the target audience and people that will actually listen to things like this is that the majority are too lazy to care about voting. So maybe in the end, you are right. We can only hope.

I guess I wasn’t clear that I was already assuming that those votes are going to Kerry. Or Nadar.

Preaching to the choir at this point is like sleeping with your own wife instead of going after all the undecided unattached hoochies out there. That’s no way to end a night at the bar!

wait, what were we talking about again?

Oh yes, agreed. He’s missing what should be his target audience. The Right and the Left are already committed to their sides. The middle is gonna be the difference.

4. Northe says:

Chances are most people are already going to be voting for those individuals but I have run into a few people in the last few weeks, that aren’t normal voters (as in they don’t vote), voting for Kerry due to some alarmist issue they heard from a friend of theirs. ie If Bush gets re-elected he will ban abortions.

What I fear most is the impressionable fool and in this case Slim Shady is the medium.

5. Solo says:

Or how about being a little philanthropic and giving her some cash to tie her over so she can get back on her feet. Video was weak and tired. Concerning soldiers, there may be some that are saying, have said, or are thinking fuck Bush. But they are following their orders anyways. That’s the way it has always been. Ya got happy soldiers, mad soldiers, indifferent soldiers, sad soldiers, etc. But the vast majority follow their orders and do their job.

I miss the days of rap groups like Public Enemy who actually put thought into their songs.

6. Cosmic Siren says:

What annoys me is dudes like my best friend’s husband, who join the military because they want the educational benefits and training and a chance to see the world (he was Navy) and then get pissed off because they actually have to go into a hostile area – though I’m not sure that being on a ship tending to communications during Desert Storm is the same as having to take back an occupied city.

Though he does tend to be more conservative and she the liberal one. Apparently, all this stuff is okay as long as it doesn’t affect you personally.

Me, I’m a glutton for punishment. If I signed up to be a military person, I would accept that I might have to go into hostile territory, but then I was born on an Airforce base and have lots of relatives in the military. So I was raised with the knowledge that soldiers go into bad areas.

The only reason I didn’t join the Air Force when I got out of high school was that my dad told me I wasn’t military material. He said I wouldn’t do well taking orders from officers. I thought that was bizaar, considering I was the most obedient child he had teenager-wise. But he insisted that I was too much of a scientist-type to be happy there.

Now I understand what he really meant. I may get done what I’m asked to get done, but I almost always do it MY WAY. The whole concept of doing something a certain way just to make someone happy was completely lost on me as a young adult. I had this conversation a few times:

Me: “Okay, such and such has been done.”
    Them: “But you were supposed to do it this way!”
    Me: “So? It’s done and everything works efficiently.”
    Them: “But you didn’t follow procedure.”
    Me: “I did the task and I did it well. What more do you want?”
    Them: “You have to follow procedures to make sure you did it correctly.”
    Me, confused: “I did do it correctly. Everything is where it’s supposed to be and functioning like it should.”
    Them: “Well, yes, but you didn’t do it according to the procedures.”
    Me: “So?”
    Them: “You need to follow procedures.”
    Me, shrugging: “It works better this way.”

7. Chase says:

Just remember, you can’t spell “crap” without “rap”

CS, that was the same reason that I didn’t enter service. I knew that I could go along with the system, but I also knew that at some point I was going to refuse an order as being illegal when it was one that the military still expected to be followed. Given that, it was more fair for me and the military to skip it.

I’m still thinking of the Texas Guard, since they can’t be federalized. No pay there, though.

If your hands are really big you can join Hamas.

I think you can also get in if your mother has giant hands. And I think that you get a chocolate AK-47 if you redeem a charred piece of terrorist from car and turn it in at the local CVS.

11. Raul Cruz says:

Hmm, lets see here…Moore’s film 911,Mtv’s “Rock the vote”,Combs “vote or die”,and Eminem’s “Mosh” Video, which is overwhelmingly anti-bush, didn’t have an effect on this year’s election other than voter turnout for the incumbent. Can anyone here regardless of your political affiliation disagree?

I would disagree. I think they were effective — just not effective enough. Without all the anti-Iraqi war propoganda put out by the celebrity elite (Moore included) I’m confident that this would have been a Bush 400+ EV blowout.