Right On

I have a lot of issues with Radley Balko. I could even be seen as a borderline Balko basher. (I don’t see myself that way, but I can see how someone who just reads my comments on his site could think that. Libertarians are natural a’ginners, even to each other.)

On this issue, however, we are in 100% agreement:

I’ll gladly cast my ballot with the LP when the LP offers a candidate who isn’t an embarassment to libertarianism.

So the Libertarian Party isn’t serious about winning elections. I can understand that. What I can’t understand is not fielding serious candidates. If your role is to win elections, you need to field serious candidates. If your role is to educate, you do that by fielding serious candidates. If your role is to be a lampoonish also-ran money pit, you field candidates like Badnarik.

1. Northe says:

Got a question Senor Phelps. What is it that makes Libertarianism (sp?) attractive to you?

Thanks.

Because I’m better than most people. Libertarianism, being a meritocracy, favors those who are smarter and more able than others. It just so happens that libertarianism is more fair overall than anything else and brings everyone up, not just the elite (the old “a rising tide lifts all boats” adage), but I have a personal interest also.

That’s a damn good answer. Unfortunately it won’t apppeal to the steaming masses. Actually it might given that people tend to overestimate themselves. That old incompetent people rating their own incompetance incompetantly thing again. Heh!

4. Northe says:

Yeah I am just curious cuz a lot of Libertarians have different answers and what not regarding it and their views. I know its an odd question and not really something you can answer briefly so I will stay tuned and hopefully put pieces of the puzzle together as time goes by. I’ll be posting.

That is part of the draw of libertarianism: it is a big tent. You can be a libertarian because you think that the free market helps poor people. You can be a libertarian because you think that spiritually people must be tempted in order to be truly good. You can be a libertarian because you are a materialistic person who wants to consume as possible. You can be a libertarian because you are an anti-materialistic person and want to own as much as possible (like pristine wilderness) in order to protect it from consumption.

Because libertarianism allows one to pick his own path and make a difference as an individual (rather than having to build a coalition or faction) it can appeal to nearly anyone who doesn’t seek to use force to make people “think like me.”

“What would you do in a Libertarian world?”

“You wanna know what I’d do?”

“Yeah.”

“Two chicks at the same time.”