Double Check

Okay, let me get this straight. Calling out Al Gore or John Edwards about having huge houses and private jets while complaining about you and me owning SUVs is petty partisainship. Calling out Larry Craig about being gay while talking about family values is a service to America, and it is now free-for-all time with teh ghey jokes, as long as you are making fun of him specifically? Really? Does that make it OK to whip out all your black jokes on Sharpton the next time he makes a racist comment about Jews? As long as it is about Sharpton, right? I got a whole pile of watermelon jokes waiting. (Actually, I don’t. Gallagher aside, watermelons just aren’t that funny.)

Here’s what I really don’t get. What was he charged with? Disorderly Conduct appears to be the charge. What exactly was disorderly about it? Contrary to what I have been seen batted about teh interwebs, he did not suck off the cop, he did not have his pants around his ankles, he wasn’t giving HJs for $2, and there were no show tunes involved. For all you Republican bashers out there, do you really want this to be a crime? “Hey, that queer over there tapped his foot at me! Arrest him!” Really? Two gay guys hooking up is a misdemeanor now?

Update: Geez, now I’m agreeing with a good portion of the Slate editorial board.  I feel dirty.

Well, if you’re going #2 you DO have your pants around your ankles.

But I agree. Nothing really happened. Perhaps it was at best a solicitation but anywayz…

If the Left was smarter they wouldn’t bash this guy, they would all come to his defense saying it’s all right to be gay and they should show loving acceptance. That way he would still (presumably) be humiliated and the Left could look like the good guys. It’s a good thing the left isn’t smart or they’d get more mileage out of this one.

Yeah, except that the only ones that it matters to are hillbillies in Arkansas, not Illinois Republicans. Most Republicans don’t give a crap if you are gay anymore, as long as you are discreet. Since it took it months for this to come out, I think that counts as discreet.

4. Markadelphia says:

Well, it’s true, the left shouldn’t slam Craig but you have to remember that this is a man has been very hateful towards homosexuals and pushed policies to that end. He also spent a fair amount of time ripping Clinton for not having “family values.” What, so now he is a victim? Please…

By the same token, Sharpton is no innocent and has taken many stands that harm the black community (as much as there is a black community.) Does that mean it is open season on the n- jokes?

6. Rupaul says:

Uh oh. I don’t like where any of this is going.

7. Markadelphia says:

Sharpton is a buffoon so you will get no defense from me regarding him. And no, there should be no gay jokes directed at the Senator. There should be frustration and even anger at his hypocrisy. But he is living his life by a set of impossible rules….