Real Dialog

Obama is indeed starting a dialog on race. We are getting a dialog on how it is time to for Black America to catch up on fixing their own house. This is from the comments:

Since witnessing the Rev’s hatemongering of me, someone whom he doesn’t know nor gives a rip about, I honestly do not know what to believe about the black plight in this country anymore. To know that Obama and his family sat in these pews for 20+ years and still do demonstrates his acceptance of this racist man’s teachings. And to know that the bulk of black America is staunchly voting for this man demonstrates your acceptance of this racist’s mans teachings.

For some crazy reason I’ve merrily gone about my life believing that blacks and whites had differences and challenges to face but never did I know that blacks were being taught to hate me b/c I was white. Never!

But I know now, and trust me, if this is the conversation we American’s need to have to expose the dark underbelly of black’s racism toward “white’s” then let’s have it! Healing our foremothers pain will never occur if we don’t get truly honest with one another.

Sadly, because of all of this betrayal and dishonesty, I have found myself steering away from many of black friends, colleagues and peers since the sermons have been aired. I strive everyday to be fair and honest to all the people who roam onto my life’s path, and I have to tell you that I don’t think I will ever be able to trust a black person again. To know that “hating the whites” is being taught by the most trusted pillors of the black faith is simply wrong and breaks my heart.

And to know that the sole reason blacks are voting as a block for Obama is b/c he is a black man troubles me even more. Talk about racism and sending a loud and clear signal of hate towards me simply b/c of the color of my skin or Hillary’s is blatant ignorance and I want none of it. The next time a black person runs for office in my community, I sware I’ll never, ever, ever support him or her.

She wasn’t having racist thoughts before — and Obama’s actions did nothing to mitigate the problem. He amplified it.

I disagree. I think this lady was looking for an excuse to not trust black people.

That’s fine.

Why give her a nice streaming cup of excuse in the first place?

Do you see it as an excuse?

Nope. I see it like Chris Rock described OJ. “I’m not saying you should do it… but I understand.”

And if you read the entire comment, it becomes much less credible that she was “looking for an excuse.”

“…I don’t think I will ever be able to trust a black person again.”

That’s all that matters. Context doesn’t matter.

I agree. Now try telling someone defending Wright that context doesn’t matter.

7. Carmen D. says:

That woman is a coward. America is filled with cowards of all colors. Instead of steering clear of “black FRIENDS” why doesn’t she step forward and ask questions. Ask how each of them INDIVIDUALLY feels about what Wright said. Get on the internet and read the broad range of black opinion about what Wright said. Why is she so quick to judge the entire black church on the statements of one self righteous preacher of one congregation when there are thousands of black churches across America? She goes with fear because that’s what was lurking there all along. She never had “black friends” or if she did, she was never a decent friend.

I stepped forward and asked questions. This is what I got. I got on the internet to look for that broad opinion. You know what? It doesn’t exist. Very few black people are willing to acknowledge that the idea that the US created AIDS to enact a genocide on black people is insane, or that the idea that black people and white people have different brains is stupid.

You think that black people aren’t in the throes of groupthink? Then why does Obama get 90%+ of the black vote when every other vote in the country is split nearly 50-50? There are two options: Black people go with whatever other black people are doing for a myraid of reasons, or Black people are racists who won’t vote for a white person running against a black person.

Which one is it?

9. Carmen D. says:

Phelps, you need to broaden your clicks. Of course a wide range of opinion within the black blogosphere exists. Are you reading conservatives like AfroNerd or BookerRising? Or blogs like WhatAboutOurDaughters or mine AllAboutRace? There are as many shades of opinion within the black community as their are skin tones.

Black folks are in the “throes of groupthink” no more or less than white folks. At least that’s what I glean in the threads of the white political blogs that I am reading. You and I both know, polls often get it wrong.

Darling, I hate to break it to you, but your opinion is not really different. It’s just not as strong. The ones you linked, though, seem to be taking a different look. I have added a couple to my feed (and one vicarious one through AfroNerd, Undercover Black Man.) I’ll keep my ears open.

And then there’s Zo. I owe him a beer for the entertainment he has provided me.