Stay Classy, Obama Supporters!

So it turns out that the Brownshirts are back. I’m not pointing this out to smear the Obama campaign. I’m 90% certain that they had nothing to do with this. This was some jackasses who thought that this idea of “dialog” needed to Change. The only reason that I am bothering to point it out is to remind people who jump on any malfeasance against their group as evidence of some widespread inclination to dirty dealing that what goes around comes around.

Update: To clarify, I do not in any way consider UBM to be acting like a Brownshirt.  The goons getting blogspot blogs taken down are the ones I refer to, and they are much further into the extreme than anything going on at UBM’s site.

1. Jazzy says:

Phelps by referencing UBM blog to this post are you thereby agreeing with the premise under which Power2Obama was initial run under?

By insinuating that I do are you thereby agreeing with the premise that you should try to shut down the blog of anyone who disagrees with you?

No, I don’t agree. That is why I argued against tarring an entire group of people based on the actions of a few. In this post.

3. Jazzy says:

I was not insinuating I asked you a question, I believe there is a significant difference between asking a person their opinion versus assuming they agree with a certain position.

UBM did not tar and feather a “group of people” he was clever in his investigation in outing a fraud. So now people should not question. You question to find the answers you are looking for; dissent is not a four letter word. UBM advocated for YouKnowWho to fess up to what he really is a white man posing as a black militant preying on the fears of white individuals. If you are going to do some trifling as shit then at least have the balls to man up to it. That goes for any Obama supporters claiming to be someone and something that they are not.

To be clear, I didn’t intend to go for UBM himself, but the entire kurfluffle.

I think that the situation UBM found was a tempest in a teapot, and while it would be entertaining to see the Hillary crowd and Obama crowd tangle some more, the implications of letting this latest sort of Brownshirt action become tacitly condoned is too damned dangerous for our society. I’m not going to push on it too hard, though, until I know who to push at. If it stops at juvenile highjinks like it has so far, we can get away with letting it go. If it keeps happening, it will have to be slapped down, and hard.

(And there are far, far more technically savy libertarian types than liberal types. If this turns out to be the way the game has to be played, it will get real hard to say anything with a socialist bent on the intertoobs.)

5. Jazzy says:

Phelps I swear at times you send mixed signals.

“If it keeps happening, it will have to be slapped down, and hard.”

Remember the Bill of Rights its called freedom of speech. People can say whatever they want to say but at times people have to be prepared that others are not going to like there message. Are you by your above statement advocating silencing freedom of speech.

This reminds me of the Dixie Chicks when Natalie made that statement about G dub and everyone stop buying their albums. Its action – reaction mechanism you can not silence it, and nor should anyone want it silence if that was the case we could become a mini China.

I’m talking about slapping down the people who are organizing groups to go out and have blogs taken down like these.

Pointing to them and saying whatever you want, I advocate for. Going to their service provider and having them silenced, I am 100% against.

I was all for people not buying Dixie Chicks albums. I was not for telling them to shut up.

7. ^ I still don’t know whether you’re calling me a “Brownshirt” or not.

For the record, Phelps, I was satisfied when Mike Cornelison labeled his site “satire.” He pulled the site down altogether because he has business interests on the internets which aren’t enhanced by being publicly linked with race-baiting skullduggery.

Anyways… thanks for the linkage.

I didn’t realize until you said something that it could be taken that way. If that was the impression, I sincerely apologize. I’ve also updated the post itself.

9. All cool, Phelps. I read the original (and your exchange with Jazzy) in haste. The clarification is very much appreciated.

Cheers.