X-Ray Glasses

Did you ever read comic books? Did you ever look at those ads on the black and white pages promising all sorts of wonderful gadgets for $1? The classic is X-Ray glasses. It seems like everyone ordered those damned X-Ray spex and every single person was disappointed.

Obama didn’t call his nomination historic in his “I’m kinda sorta gonna be the Democratic nominee eventually” speech. I will at least give him the recognition he deserves for seeing irrational exuberance in front of him.

There is a good chance that Obama is not going to win. McCain has been out of the news for months. For months there has been nothing in the news but Obama and Clinton. And McCain is still neck and neck with Obama. Got that? McCain is keeping up with Obama and he’s not even doing anything. That’s not an accomplishment for McCain — that is a weakness in Obama.

And even if he does win, he isn’t going to bring the CHANGE that people are expecting. He can’t lower the oceans, no matter what he says. (Never mind that the oceans have been rising for the last 18,000 years.) White People and Black People aren’t going to start getting along by magic. He’s not going to be able to do anything about poverty, or police brutality, or low test scores, or anything else that I have heard bandied about in the last couple of days.

I’m looking at America, and I feel like the parent who’s kid is begging him for the X-Ray specs. I know that if I tell him no, he is going to sulk around because he didn’t get his fantasy indulged. I also know that if I buy them for him, he is going to be crushed when his fantasy is exposed as a fraud. America is screwed either way now. Four more years of this partisan bullshit is all but guaranteed now.

Yeah, it’s sad, but I really agree with this post. Not sad that I agree, but the situation is sad in general.

Does Obama direct deposit unicorns and puppy dogs? Or do I also have to wait for those in the mail?

2. nottydreads says:

I need a little clarification, please.

Is the point of your comment that all of the ideas of Obama are somehow unlike any other candidate’s grandiose visions?

Should our choices be dependent upon a candidate’s chance of success?

Just who is it that believes that Mr. Obama is the panacea for the country’s centuries of racial strife and ignorance?

Save your buck and the “X-Ray Glasses”.

I don’t fit into this jaundiced demography that you have created. I’m not sure it even exists. Sure, I want him to win. The historical significance is but one of my reasons. I realize that this in itself is a selfish reason, so paint me guilty. I won’t apologize that FIRSTs and landmarks do in deed hold sway with me. An appreciation of such events are sometimes paramount with those who have suffered a history of denial. An equally opposite position is often the stance of those who feel like a privilege is being taken away. Still others can’t appreciate the effort and toll that barrier busting requires because for them, those barriers were never in place. Please keep in mind that barriers of the mental cast can be just as debilitating, or even more so, as those that are physical. It is easy to know the when and the where of the physical type, but those that can’t be seen or can’t be mapped requires a certain nuanced and sensual approach.

The actual accomplishments of a Barack H. Obama presidency may not amount to so much as a few wiki footnotes when all is said and done. His tenure may not be looked back upon as good or great or even average. However it gets re-lensed, he certainly won’t be alone. This republic has shown the fortitude to survive less than stellar Executive guidance before Obama and it will do likewise AFTER Obama.

But his would in any event, be looked back upon with monumental significance. There won’t be miracles, Phelps…and I already know he won’t be able to come up with your unicorns, R. And judged fairly against his peers, he shouldn’t have to. None of them have EVER had to be viewed through “X-Ray Glasses”, either.

No, the difference is that a significant portion of the population seems to be unable to smell his bullshit. In fact, a significant proportion of that subgroup is ready to brand you as a racist if you even suggest that perhaps you smell something pungent.

Should our choices be dependent upon a candidate’s chance of success?

Our choices should be based on what is feasible, yes. When a candidate is promising to lower the level of the oceans, that isn’t a feasible plan. That’s more like a Dr. Evil plan.

Everyone but the most hardcore misanthrope would like for healtcare to be free. The reality, though, is that “free” healthcare isn’t feasible, and would cause more problems than it solves. That is just one example.

Oh, there are a few people.

You know, we may have survived the Great Depression, WW1 and WW2, but I don’t think I would like to elect another Wilson and see how we do on the test again.

5. nottydreads says:

——————————————————————–
    And?…..

We didn’t choose those “tests” the first time around. Some isht just ain’t up to our democratic principles. Some isht just happens. You don’t have to elect another Wilson for Wilsonian events to occur. Bush, as much as I lay at his doorstep, can’t be blamed for the events of 9-11.

6. nottydreads says:

And this bothers you? My olfactorial abilities shouldn’t have such a profound effect on you. Don’t sweat the name-calling, rookie. It only distracts for a moment. This ol cowboy’s been through that rodeo since…well, since forever. Seems like the skin is just a tad thin for the sharp elbows of political discourse.

Try this one on for a moment…During my previous years of political commentary, I was NEVER called a racist, although my vote this year is remarkably similar to my votes of then. I normally support who I feel is the most progressive Democrat, in the primaries and Then I usually have to settle for the choice of the party for the general election. In 1992, my virgin election, I was a Jerry Brown die-hard. He was the choice of about 75-80 percent of African-Americans. I didn’t hear one hint that disparaged my choice of candidate. Of course, Clinton still killed him in the primes and got my vote in the general. In ’04, I was a solid Kucinich backer. I got petty grief for being too liberal in the DNC era. But the party faithfuls knew I’d be wih the party in the general. Well, my boy got dispatched rather quickly by the powerful DNC. We were basically road-kill under the wheels of the DNC. Still all I was was a voter of little descript. My race was never an issue. I got into ideological battles with White and Black Conservatives. I was introduced to the playground antics of (non-racial) name-calling during this time. Stuff like “Kool-Aid Drinker” and the standard Freeper crap like “AssHat” and “Winger”. Still no racist attacks or charges, mind you.

I was left with Kerry by default. of course. And everyone knows by now of the Kerry nightmare that doubled as the race of ’04. No re-count, no swingin’ chads, the dullest candidate not bound for the Emergency Room I’ve EVER met. I think I dozed off during a handshake with him.

This year (last year actually) I was out of gates with my boy again. The upstart Barack Obama got a look but I didn’t know his politics well enough. I’d heard he was going to try and maneuver as a Centrist, which is wolfbane to my Dracula. No chance of THAT guy getting anything here except directions…out…of …mah…face…But as he campaigned and as D.K. showed sign of disinterest in the campaign and a substantial appeTITE for his new, gorgeous, bubble-butt….day-yum…wife…Hell, I don’t blame him. I think DK is one of the most brilliant minds in politics. But he is wonkie…and short…with those ears. In other words, DK hadn’t “been around” a lot. So, when he finally hammered his very own Ms. World, well….

I had to move on to another candidate. My principles were unswayed. Everybody said get it over with and come with Hillary. I politely declined and moved on to the young dude with the ideas. His progressive stance was barely to the right of my own. As long as he was close, and no one else was, why not? Hillary was polling so far ahead that I had already assumed her presumption. But B-Rock was gaining some inside status and stature. Outside, still few knew him. He was probably polling about 20-25% overall. Maybe 30+ was black support, with Mrs. Clinton taking the lions share.

Low and Behold…IOWA happened…and the isht hit the fan. I was a little off-guard because it had been so long since my candidate won in a caucus or primary. Of course all the blogs said Hillary would kick butt in New Hampshire the next week and right the rocky start again in MY STATE, the birthplace of the Civil War, South Carolina. The significance of that fact had not yet dawned on me. In the twoweek between NH and SC, Obama practically lived down here. There wasn’t a strong Hillary presence but she did have great organization in place. So she was going to win, anyway….

…Except that… she DIDN’T…and because of the shock and… demographics of my state…a new “racist” was born. As a matter of fact, a whole new generation of racists were born. No power to deny anyone their rights but…SOMEHOW…racists. No blocking the school doors, but…Nobody got lynched, but…No one got a ass-whipping just for GP, but…No one “redlined”…No one fireman’s hosed…No lunch counter…No bus…No…nothing except some people doing something they’d never had the pleasure of doing before. They cast a vote for someone who looked like…them. Not out of hatred, but out of pride. Finally…AMERICA!

If we were drunk from the heady experience, what came later must certainly be the Hangover. And it’s still here.

7. nottydreads says:

———————————————————————————

An argument guaranteed to be a loser 10 out of 10 times. The right to vote is strictly(?) guidelined by the US Constitution and The Bill Of Rights. The requirements are not nearly as responsible as those of your application. As long as the citizen completes the stated requirements, his actual choice can be determined through something as trivial as a coin toss or loss of a bet. 🙂 …or even still, as part of the plan of Dr. Eville… 🙂

8. nottydreads says:

Oh, there are a few people.
    ————————————————————–

I think I’m rather crunchy, too

We didn’t choose those “tests” the first time around.

Oh, I think we did. The ballot didn’t say, “Woodrow Wilson, Fascist who will bring world war and economic collapse”, but the signs were there for anyone paying attention. And the ballot for Obama doesn’t say, “Barack Obama, Fascist who will bring nuclear attack and economic collapse”, but it is just as real. (For the record, the other ones should read, “John McCain, Fascist who will bring partisan strife and continuing energy problems” and “Hillary Clinton, Socialist who will bring political gridlock and multiple brushfire wars”)

Bush can’t be blamed for 9/11, but he has his part along with a lot of others (although his is the smallest.) Carter for Iran, Reagan for the Beirut bombing response, Bush I for not enforcing the cease-fire with Iraq strictly enough, Clinton for, well, his entire administration from Mogadishu to the embassy bombings.

My olfactorial abilities shouldn’t have such a profound effect on you.

Unfortunately, I’m still a romantic. I like to think that the American people aren’t as dumb and fickle as people make them out to be. I like to think that they make the right choice more often than not. And when I see them making a choice that not just bad, but so profoundly and obviously bad (even if it is for innocent reasons) it challenges my faith in the American people. I want to help America make the right choices, and I am sure that you are driven by the same desire — you just disagree with me on what those choices should be. Two reasonable men can disagree without either of them being stupid, ignorant or evil.

This isn’t a franchise argument, man. I’m talking about how I think they should vote, not taking away their franchise if they don’t vote that way. That’s a weak strawman.