The Airport Ad

Remember the Busch Ad from the Superbowl?:

Pass the sick bag, Alice. I was too stunned by the spot to really take in the full import of a beer company waving off “our boys” (and girls) to battle. But battle? Where? The war in Iraq’s over, isn’t it or so they keep telling us? With Rice’s thinly veiled threats towards Iran everywhere, it is hard not to see the spot as anything other than hailing the troops off to war. Pure propaganda, and it picked up on one of the themes of the night: patriotism.

Uhhh… I watched the ad, and assumed they were coming home from battle. Where did you get the “waving off to battle” part from?

It is inconceivable for me for someone to go through life with that filter on reality. I’ve talked about this killer soldier/cop philosophy before. I would be worried about the damage to my psyche having such a pessimistic outlook would have. Stefano seems to be another one of these people soaking his mind in poison.

(Via Taranto’s Best of the Web Today)

1. Alex D. says:

Propaganda, all right — every commercial has this “secret agenda” of selling their products. The only thing Budweiser’s hiding is that they could be trying to connect their beer with the patriotism. With that one detail aside, it’s a remarkable tribute. Where do these people get anything else from?

If they wanted to corner all the markets they could show American soldiers and insurgents doing their thing during the day and then showing them all hanging out at the same bars at night buying each other rounds of beer. Like the Michelob light for the winner commercials they used to have back in the day.

They aren’t insurgents, they are terrorists. But it would be funny to me to portray Islamic fundamentalists boozing it up. Maybe they could make a Baptist the bartender.

4. guy in the UNLV jacket says:

Make the bartender a Hacidic Jew, With the curly sideburns and top hat

5. rae says:

How come there weren’t any boobs in those commercials? What happened to the good ‘ol fashion girls wrestling, cheerleaders bouncing, and boob commercials? I’m just saying. There was one for daddy something or other dot com but it was so weak.

Blame the NFL. The GoDaddy commercial was supposed to run twice, but the NFL threw a shit-fit as soon as it aired and they pulled the other one from later in the show. They also cancelled the Budweiser “wardrobe malfunction” commercial.

I watched the halftime show to see if Paul McCartny was gonna show his teet but it didn’t happen. I actually thought he was going to because he had a star on his shirt and as we all recall Janet Jackson had a star on her nipple last year so I thought that was foreboding but I was wrong.

8. rae says:

What has happened to our chauvinistic world of sports? God that pisses me off. The commercials are the best part when neither of your teams are in it!!