Italian Propoganda

The Moderate Voice has a really good round up on the Italian Hostage Pickup. (You can’t really call it a rescue when she was already paid for. It was just a transit through occupied territory.)

What I really don’t get is what the hell the Italians were thinking. If the Intel guys were legit (and everything points to that being the case) why didn’t they just stop? A lot of people are expressing incredulity about the reports that 300-400 rounds were fired at the car. I’m not — I would be surprised if less were fired at it. Given a single squad with a support weapon, that’s eight guys firing eight 3-round bursts (192 rounds) and a support weapon (which is what most likely disabled the car) firing ten 15-round bursts (with each burst being about a second.) Remember, guys — a machine gun fires 200 rounds in less than a minute, depending on what kind it is. A car can cover a mile of ground at 60 mph in a minute. And this is with no reloads — M16s use 30 round magazines, and a SAW uses 200 round belts.

The Italians screwed the pooch on this one, and we did (from what I have read) everything right. It’s tragic — but it isn’t our tragedy, except in as much as any sort of needless killing is everyone’s tragedy. The blame falls squarely on the Italians. They did everything wrong: they paid a ransom (encouraging more kidnapping and funding more terror), they ran an unsupported mission in occupied territory, and then they decided they were going to conduct an act of war on an American position (blowing through the checkpoint.) Regardless of anything else, the last one was an act of ultimate stupidity, and it was punished immediately.

1. guy in the UNLV jacket says:

If I am a soldier manning a check point and a car doesn’t stop. Then that is their ass! It’s better to have an International incident and a dead Italian spook then to have me or my buddies get blown up by a suicide bomber…Viva Me!!!

2. guy in the UNLV jacket says:

Another thing why isn’t anybnodyu pissed at the Terrorists? They kill more foreigners than we do

Well, the Italian reporter is pissed at us and not the terrorists because she is, by her own admission, on the same side as the terrorists. (Which is the main reason I’m puzzled at why anyone bothered to ransom her. It isn’t ransoming — it is fundraising.)

4. Let me get this straight. The Italian government PAID the terrorists MONEY to get this slut back? That means the Italian government is buying arms and ammo for terrorists to kill brave American soldiers with. This makes Italy an enemy combatant state that supports terrorism.

5. Keith says:

She writes for a communist “newspaper” (Il Manifesto).
    Therefore she is a communist.
    Italians have voted in numerous communist governments since WW2 and and there’s a very large element in that country that’s pro-communist and anti-USA. This incident is just a convenient stick with which to beat the U.S.
    Opportunist scumbags.

The Italians say their efforts to get the reporter back were OK’d by the U.S.

Fox News says so

That sounds right; I don’t think it is relevant, though. There are so many degrees of what that could mean; they way I’ve seen it put, it seems like Italy said, “Hey, US, we want to go get our people back” and we replied “damn skippy, go ahead” and that was hte last that we heard. We would certainly OK it — the question then is did they tell us that this was the exfiltration route? And even if they did, then it still boils down to simply what it is in any event — a tragic case of friendly fire.

I can know that you are OK to drive to visit someone in Houston, but that doesn’t mean that I know you intend to take my car.

Well, I was only posting that because a lot of your comments are about ransoms and pay-offs. And I’m pretty sure we weren’t so stupid as to ignore the possibility that Italy might pay them off.

If we were vehemently against negotiating with terrorists, we would have told the Italians to prepare a coffin about a foot shorter than the woman’s height, if you know what I mean.

I think that we can be vehemently against negotiating with terrorists without violating the sovereignty and diplomatic privilege of our allies. I can say to you, “I think that your politics are dangerous and bad for the nation” without telling you that you can’t vote.