The Stupid Culture

Weeeeeak:

Among whites, higher grades yield higher popularity. For Blacks, higher achievement is associated with modestly higher popularity until a grade point average of 3.5, when the slope turns negative. A black student with a 4.0 has, on average, 1.5 fewer same-race friends than a white student with a 4.0. Among Hispanics, there is little change in popularity from a grade point average of 1 through 2.5. After 2.5, the gradient turns sharply negative. A Hispanic student with a 4.0 grade point average is the least popular of all Hispanic students, and has 3 fewer friends than a typical white student with a 4.0 grade point average. Put differently, evaluated at the sample mean, a one standard deviation increase in grades is associated with roughly a .103 standard deviation decrease in social status for Blacks and a .171 standard deviation decrease for Hispanics. For students with a 3.5 grade point average or better, the effect triples.

…signals that beget labor market success are signals that induce peer rejection…these differences will be exacerbated in arenas that foster more interracial contact or increased mobility… �Acting white� is more salient in public schools and schools in which the percentage of black students is less than twenty, but non-existent among blacks in predominantly black schools or those who attend private schools. Schools with more interracial contact have an �acting white� coefficient twice as large as more segregated schools (seven times as large for Black males). Other models we consider, such as self-sabotage among black youth or the presence of an oppositional culture identity, all contradict the data in important ways.

(Via Catalarchy)

1. Half Sigma says:

Bogus research paper about blacks “acting white�

A research paper (link to PDF file of paper) proclaims to show that school aged blacks who “act white� have less popularity because they are shunned by their peers. (Hat tip: Tyler Cowen.) While this sounds reasonable, after reading

2. I wonder how many federal grant dollars went into supporting that study.

Probably none. All the federal dollars supporting black people go to keeping the projects run down and making sure that there is lots of quick money to be made selling rocks.

When I narrated the class play in the fifth grade a Mexican woman complimented to my mom saying I sounded white. Later when she told me I was thinking I don’t sound white, I sound better than all the kids in my class, white included. Years later I happened upon a tape of my narration. Man I could emote!

I can dig that. Sometimes, I just start going through my blog archives, because I totally kick ass. I go through your archives sometimes too, but I end up skipping the posts after a while and just start looking for my comments.

Isn’t narcissism the best? I do the same thing! I google my own name. Then when I get bored I google other people.

7. I thought rocks had moved beyond gumment subsidies by now….

Oh, no, the government brags about how they have inflated the price of drugs by 17000%. And that is alllllllll profit.

9. Phels,

Please read the new book by Thomas Sowell “Black Rednecks, White Liberals”

It talks about this in detail. There are major cultural influences at work here that the elite establishment of liberals refuse to acknowledge.

I’m a big Sowell fan. It’s on my list.