Love Thy Neighbor

BigTex.jpg

I don’t know about the rest of you, but Big Tex is a powerful symbol to me. I well up every time I look at this cartoon, and I’m not sure why.

It really hit me this morning, as I was driving in to work. I passed the big electronic sign on I-30 at Dolphin headed west, and saw

Hurricane Shelter
Exit Reunion Blvd

and it hit me like a ton of bricksflood water. I started compulsively checking license plates looking for LA tags. I saw a bus flanked by fire trucks coming down Reunion as I was heading to Commerce, and I was undecided about what to do. I stopped in the middle of the road and considered skipping work to do something — anything — to comfort them.

I can’t clear my work schedule away to help right now, but I intend to start volunteering at one of the shelters downtown as soon as I can clear the time.

1. Cosmic Siren says:

My dad’s company relocated their New Orleans people to Dallas. He’s supposed to go to Shreveport and help recover the data from a New Orleans bank, but the Shreveport office isn’t ready for the recovery team yet.

2. guy in the unlv jacket says:

Amen for big Tex

Hey I saw Reunion Blvd when I was there. Now the hurricane is real to me. Other than that it was just stuff I saw on TV.

4. Jenn says:

I felt the same way yesterday when I heard that there was 1600 here and an expectant 6000 total.

5. guy in the UNLV jacket says:

We got a bunch here in Phoenix to.

6. Northe says:

Volunteering is the best thing to do. My daughter and I volunteer twice a month building and sending packages to the troops overseas. Its the best way to be a part of the effort. I’ve never been to Texas but to see that kind of openess to those that need it is awesome. Geterdun Phelps.

Oh no… You’ve spawned?

8. HMT says:

sweet. do whatever you can to keep them out of San Diego.

9. oregonchick says:

The generosity and hospitality of Texas during this crisis is pretty mind-boggling. Oregon has offered some accommodations, but FEMA can’t seem to decide if they want to send people here or not.

The nearest evacuees are going to be two hours north of me, which makes directly volunteering with them a little out of reach. But I will figure out a way to do more than just write a check to the American Red Cross, although I’ve done that, too.

It’s hard to imagine what all of those people are going through. The shock, the loss, the trauma, and the bewilderment about what will come their way next… That they can do anything at all is a testament to what people are capable of (in the best way).

10. Northe says:

Not only have I spawned Phelps, but the female version of me is even prettier than the male version. Which isn’t saying much 🙁