Some Metablogging

Heavy Metal Thunder asked me the other day how to create an RSS feed with Blogger. Well, I poked around today, and found out that blogger now automatically includes an atom feed on all blogspot blogs. It is at “atom.xml”, so now I can subscribe to the rest of the treehouse gang. You guys need to put up orange “XML” buttons up linking to it, though. That will let idiots like me and autosubscribing programs find the link. A cool way to do it is in CSS, with instructions here.

The other thing is that I am about ready to give up on commenting on blogger comments. The stupid captcha is getting ridiculous, and I’m about done dealing with it. If you don’t know what a captcha is, it is those stupid illegible (and that is literally it with some of them) characters at the bottom that you have to type in to comment. They are a pain in the ass and generally don’t work. Blacklisting and whitelisting work on spam, as does Bayesian filtering. Captchas don’t. To get a captcha that is effective against spam, you end up with one that is also effective against people, meaning I can’t tell what the fuck the computer wants me to type. I’m expending energy to improve your site when I comment. When it gets too inconvenient to do that, I’m not going to bother. I’ve simply discarded two blogspot comments (both for R) simply because I failed the captcha and I didn’t feel like dicking around with it. I stopped commenting on LiveJournal blogs that used captchas for the same reason, and I’m about to stop with Blogger. With all of Google behind blogger, and thousands (if not millions) of users all on the same system, they should have the most effective blacklist in creation, and instead they have a half-assed, ineffective piece of shit 20th century captcha. I’m about through with it.

1. HMT says:

I’m so stupid that I still don’t get it. I went to that link. I see the code.

where do I place it in the template, and what exactly will this do again.

I’m excited about it though!

You put it in the same place that you put your side links. Where it says href=, you put “http://mindfists.blogspot.com/atom.xml”

3. HMT says:

ok, I did that.. you’ll see the “x” link on my site.

what next? what do I still have to do?

Uhh… it needs to be XML and it needs to link to “/atom.xml”, not “/”. I’ll email you the complete code to put in your template.

5. Jim Darkness says:

Thanks for posting that CSS snippet… now I’m all cool like you… right? I mean, it’s cool… I’m cool… (Gods, that makes me sound so uncool…)

And I totally agree with you on the captcha bullshit. I had it turned on for mine, but was getting sick of it yesterday when replying to comments on my own damned blog…

As you stated… you would think that Google would be able to take care of this… but then again… Hotmail belongs to Microsoft…

🙁

Is there any way I can set up my own filter for comments or am I limited to what Blogger has?

7. HMT says:

fuck, I’m so stupid.

I might just give you access to my blog for this phelpsie, would you be cool w/ that?

HMT: MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAhahahahahaa… I mean, sure, no problem.

R: You might want to ask HMT how much trouble Haloscan gives him. He doesn’t seem to have too many problems. Or, you could, you know, get a real blog running MT or WordPress. Having looked at WordPress, I think I would suggest that. It would be a ton of work at this point for me to move three blogs to WP, but I still reconsider it every few months.

I just looked — you’re really close, HMT. You just need to fix the href part to include atom.xml.