Sox or Soldiers?

Here’s a pop quiz: Which photos are White Sox World Series celebrations, and which ones are solemn memorials for 2000 dead soldiers and certainly not parties?

Celebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

001.jpgCelebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

002.jpg

Celebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

003.jpg

Celebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

004.jpg

Celebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

005.jpg

Celebrating for the White Sox or Dead Soldiers?

006.jpg

(Via The Indepundit)

Yeah, so people are smiling at each other at a rally of like-minded people. What in the hell is wrong with that?

Does smiling now make you a traitor?

I think the protesters were happier about the 2,000th dead American than the White Sox fans were about the first title in 88 years. Hating America and rooting for the other team is job one.

3. A (not so) Solemn Vigil

ANTI-WAR PROTESTERS are caught smiling, laughing, and passing out political propaganda at a “vigil” in San Francisco. PHOTO: Zombie Just in time for Halloween. PHELPS has a pop quiz: see if you can tell the difference between solemn anti-war protesters…

Except that there is nothing out of context about these. Check out the link.

Nope. Treason is giving aid to the enemy or taking up arms against the country. Smiling about soldiers dying does make you anti-American, though.

6. T. Longren says:

Best. Death Party. Ever.

I wrote a few days ago about Cindy Sheehan preparing to tie herself to a fence once the 2000th soldier in Iraq had died. Well, didn’t go exactly as she planned it would seem. The Political Pitbull has some pictures of lonely Cindy just sitting…

7. tyler says:

Oh look, I can make comments that add nothing to the topic at hand too!

8. Yogimus says:

Trick question. The whitesox have no fans.

I never said that the White Sox had fans. Just that people were celebrating their win.

10. Jenn says:

Yeah, nothing on this. You guys scare me. I don’t wanna get yelled at!!

11. Maggie says:

Excellent post! It’s an important point and you make it very well.

“Smiling about soldiers dying does make you anti-American, though.”

Yeah, because smiling about sending soldiers to die is so patriotic.

I honestly don’t see how you guys can be so excited over the prospect of sending Americans to die in the desert.

I mean, if the decision to enter war was such a somber thing, why all the smiles? Why the balloons and the streamers?

Really, this is kind of un-American of you guys. And kind of asshole-ish, too.

Despite whatever illusions of omniscience you think you may possess, it is clear to all but the fringe radicals that love a good photo-crop that you’re doing nothing but taking images out of context.

I’m not going to waste my time here. You and I both know that you’re taking images out of context and, lacking having spoken specifically with any one of those people pictured there, are assigning your preconceived motivations to them simply because you disagree with their politics.

Why you’re doing this is beyond me. I would expect this from some third-rate blogger with no grasp on reality, and not from you.

But if you want to continue your cute little anti-liberal hate speech, go right ahead.

It is your credibility you’re fucking up, and to your consequence alone.

Have fun.

You’re off the deep end here. Not one of those people is saying, “yeah, you go over there and let somebody kill you so I will feel better about my political choices.” In fact, I’m pretty sure every one of those people wants every one of our soldiers to come home.

You can’t say that about the people at the “Hurray for 2000” parade.

I don’t see what you are getting at, because I don’t see anything to run from in the pictures you posted. Why are you running from the photos I posted? Could it be any other reason but that you know they are wrong?

The decision to enter war is serious, but not somber. There is a distinction there.

I don’t give a rat’s ass what they say, because actions speak louder than words. Do I think that everyone who is anti-(this-)war is celebrating the deaths? No — I am certain it is the opposite. But there is no doubt that the loudest, most vocal war opposers are also anti-American, and anti-Iraqi freedom. The people in these photos would celebrate, some in private, and some in public, if we were to lose this war. I don’t care if people who are already for the war see them. This isn’t to stroke thier egos — it is to show those who are against the war who they are in bed with. It is to show them who is shaping thier opinion. It is to show who you are choosing to be associated with when you take that stand. That is why I am posting them. To maybe show someone what their choice means, taken to its full conclusion.

I have no fear for my credibility — I fear for yours. The people in these photos are deplorable. There are deplorable people on both sides. I can’t run from Fred Phelps fast enough. I can’t say enough bad things about Pat Robertson.

“One photo might be out of context. Two photos might possibly be out of context. With the third, it is starting to look like it is more widespread. With a dozen, the tone is set. When they span more than one rally, then it isn’t out of fucking context, not matter how you would like your reality-based distortion to be.”

For every one photo you find of smiling people at a protest rally I can find five of smiling people excited about sending Americans to war.

All that you’ve said above can be equally applied to those who support the war in Iraq.

“Why can’t you disavow these people and move on? Why are you choosing to tie yourself to those albatrosses? Is this choosing wisely?”

Except the only difference is that I don’t have the arrogance to presume to speak for others.

My stand is my stand regardless of who is on the one side of the aisle or the other. I align myself with no one.

Absolutely. If you will accept that the war supporters are as proud to send our men off to bring freedom to the Iraqis as the protesters are to see them being killed by terrorists, then we are in 100% agreement.

I would even go so far as to say that nearly every single pro-war protester you will see will be smiling. I am for that. Celebrating the acomplishments of live soldiers is not something that I am going to run from — I embrace it. Are you going to embrace celebrating the deaths of our soldiers?

Other than me, I guess. And the war protesters.

Yet you see the need to defend these guys. Does that mean that you are on thier side in this instance?

“Absolutely. If you will accept that the war supporters are as proud to send our men off to bring freedom to the Iraqis…”

Ummm, I actually think they’re happy to send Americans to die, so I can’t agree to that since your view is different than mine.

You want to keep playing mind-reader? I kind of like it. It makes it easy to assert an opinion without having to do any work to support it.

Call it what you want. I’ll adopt it. I’ll take the pro-war smilers, whether you take the antis or not.

Will you?

Will I what? Will I acknowledge that they speak for me? Is that what you’re asking me to do?

Nobody speaks for me but myself. You seem to believe that because I may give these people the benefit of the doubt (“defend” them, if you must use the term), that I automatically align myself with them.

This is not the case. And my taking images of pro-war individuals out of context was made in jest of the right-wing doing the same thing. It doesn’t mean that I believe these people are smiling about sending Americans to die. I was using it as a device to make a statement which you aided in yet didn’t realize you were.

First, you claimed that the photos were out of context. I showed that they were not.

Then you claimed that pro-war protesters were just as gleeful. I agreed and ratified that behavior.

Now you are claiming, once I embraced your argument, that you never argued at all?

Bad form, sir. Bad form.

24. Leland says:

The ones celebrating the home team would be the White Sox Fans.

Otherwise, day and night seem to give the challenge away.