Turning Away Buckets of Money

So I guess I was right when I described this deal:

Apple probably told them, “yeah, we will give you units that are setup to work on just your network.â€? And Cingular said, “good, and you will push out updates to fix it if someone unlocks it, right?â€? And Apple probably said, “…â€? And Cingular said, “Right?â€? And Apple said, “you know what, you don’t get it, so never mind. I’m gonna call this guy at T-Mobile…â€? and Cingular said “Wait! Wait! We’ll do whatever, just let us have this money.â€?

The difference is that it was Verizon, not Cingular, and Apple did walk away. So, for all you Verizon bigots who think that Cingular is the worst thing ever (and to clarify, I don’t think Cingular is great — I think every network sucks and whichever one happens to work in your area has little to do with anything but chance) remember that Verizon is the reason you can’t get an iPhone, not Apple.

1. mexigogue says:

I miss payphones.

Best Buy pissed in thier chili bowl when they screwed up thier shot at Apple Stores Within A Store and let them go to CompUSA. Apple doesn’t support failure anymore.

Not sell the iPhone in Best Buy? What the hell are they thinking? People who shop at Best Buy are Apple’s targets.

GG.

4. HMt says:

since there is no truth outside of your own experience…

I’ve had verizon and now I have cingular.

Verizon provided a better signal, and the people were friendlier.

Perhaps that will all change tomorrow, but that is what my experience has proven.

I have a house phone with a real long cord so I can sit on the porch and talk on the phone. That’s old school.

6. guy in the UNLV Jacket says:

I used to have Sprint and now I have Cingular I don’t see much of a difference. I got rid of Sprint because they wouldn’t give me a good deal on a new phone when my other phone went belly up and I chose Cingular because they were the first wireless phone store I came across when I left the Sprint store.