Thought Exercise

Would Here Comes Honey Boo Boo be on the air if that family was black?

1. Lukosrage says:

Why is this on air?- I mean, your thought exercise is interesting… but really?
    What lows have we hit when we start recording people like this?

Reality TV is such rubbish.

I cut my cable long ago- streaming only for me, seeing crap like this only confirms my thoughts about broadcast TV.
    The only thing I want is AMC=(Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Hell on Wheels)

For your moment of zen; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOyMSEWNTs

2. Brian Dunbar says:

It would.

But they’d slant it so the viewer has sympathy for the family. Daddy would be a strivin’ prole Bill Cosby.

3. kristin says:

Seriously Phelps?! Ever heard of Love and Hip Hop, the ractchetness of ATL housewives, flavoe of love, turn on BET. The airwaves or populated with images such as these staring black people, however people have been desensitized to images of black people in this situations.

Ive seen atl housewives and FoL (briefly) but as far as I know those featured financially well off adult cretins (or performers aspiring to such), not middle class cretins and thier proudly ignorant child.

Take a look at a few minutes of this. It’s a new level of buffoonery.

5. kristin says:

I have watched the show and i stand by what i said watch any show on BET and the foolishness of grown women coming to blows on tv and it is the same damn thing. The only difference is people expect this of black people so its acceptBle behaviour or rather expected.

See, I see it more about the distinction between adults and children. I expect adults to be damned fools on reality TV. It’s been that way since Jerry Springer. I sort of have an expectation that children will be protected, though.

I think a little black girl and her lower-middle class family would be protected from this sort of thing. Maybe I’m wrong.

(Also, you know her parents are going to blow all her money and she’s going to end up in the penitentiary before she’s 30 because of this.)